Tuesday, July 11, 2006


Kelly Nault's Disappearance:
Pregnancy and Nausea and a Dose of Humility!

Green was never my best color and after months of nausea 24/7 it certainly hasn't become a color I enjoy.

It has now been over five months of feeling stranded out at sea wretching over the side of the boat with no shoreline in sight. Yes, Kelly Nault is pregnant and there have been many moments when I wonder how something so beautiful like bringing a new life into this world can start out so ugly.

Many moms have told me that pregnancy is the great equalizer--if you don't get it on one end you'll get it on the other. Well, I believe I have paid my dues.

So as I helplessly watch my emails pile up and leave my to do lists unchecked I realize that mother nature is preparing me to re-prioritize and to chill out a while.

The thing is I don't want to chill out a while!!! I want to be productive, to get things done and to be that Super Woman I know I can be. Yes, even a recovering Super Woman like me has her relapses!

So I pout, I whine and I cry like a baby. Why? Because I am not in control and I am definitely not getting my way!

My biggest pity party came when my husband found me pruned up in the bath (I was in there for 2 hrs) having a hormonal breakdown saying things like:
  • "Just so you know I don't think I will EVER want to have sex again!"
  • "We are definitely adopting next time!"
  • "From now on there is a ban on ANY cooking as smell makes me sick. Cracker diet only!"
  • "YOUR baby just won't fit in my uterus." (As I point to my belly)
  • "I am just not good at being pregnant."
Yes, this was my low of lows. Quite pathetic I know, but female hormones can look pathetic.

Finally, I surrendered to the couch potato lifestyle and sadly, realized the world can (quite happily) go on without me. This dose of humility put me in my place and took the pressure away. And the more I surrender to "what is" and accept "what is"... the easier it all becomes.

Then suddenly land appears and I have my energy back! Yeah! My pregnancy nausea sea legs still trip me up from time to time but now as the baby starts to kick (and even hiccup in the womb) I find myself happy once again. :-)

If you have been wondering where Kelly Nault disappeared to now you know. The good news? In the next few months there will be more parenting resources added to the http://www.ultimateparenting.com site including many of my radio parenting interviews you can listen to for free and gain more practical parenting tips.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

You're so right! Pregnancy definitely starts us off right on this whole parenting gig, realizing that we have so little control. :)

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home